Signs in the skies at the end of the world

These first days of the 21st century are like a mighty,

rushing wind, with fiery tongues,

as thunder rolls across the oceans floors, and moons

turn blood red in the sky, or hang blue

in the heavens on sacred nights

while the sun is darkened at midday, by the shadow

of a dog that never bit no one, as we ask for a sign,

and the universe is singing.

 

An iceberg shatters in the North and drifts slowly

into a trembling eternity, while we all dance like

there is no tomorrow, rolling in beds

of wealth that we never deserved, poached from the lives

of families we never knew.

I wonder about hope, as I sit outside a church waiting for

a sign from clouds that obscure the heavens.

 

They found a polar bear in a rubbish dump

in Siberia- what a hell! She'd lost her babies,

somewhere in the smog of humanity. How did it come

to this? I cried on David Attenborough’s shoulder,

while he turned another page, folding it over on

mankind’s crumbling destiny.

 

I paid the invoice for my “mixed recycle bin” the other day, it felt

like a high price to save a failing planet, but then I swam

in a sea of goodness over sands that sparkled

beneath waves of happiness, and I told God  that

I could live here forever.

 

And driving home in my vehicle, that sprayed fumes

of poison on the struggling daisies along the roadside,

I asked myself, is there any hope left on this still

and gentle autumn day.

 

I watched some irises push through the dirty

ground beneath a laden guava tree, outside in my scruffy

garden.

 

I thought there might still be, life and joy

in a world eclipsed with greed. That there’s still a fat chance of

 

hope.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've written something new for you, Hori

Mumma Bear & Redneck do a Roadie

in the shadows of a cursed coalition