The night the tui's came for you

.

The sun is bright and a soft wind blows calmly through your window,

I say, "Listen to that singing outside, what can it be?"

"It's the tuis,' you say,

"they're waiting for me."

"But not today," I said, and you laughed with me,

"not today, I'm not ready, they will have to wait."

I agreed, no one was ready yet, and you stayed for a while longer.


They returned the next day, and the next,

those tuis sang together,

and we came to enjoy their boisterous chorus.

"They're still here," I told you.

"Yes," you said, "but it's sunny, so they can just stay in the trees and cry,"

We laughed together, as we watched the tuis in the kowhai,

harmonising together,

in the branches that touched the sky.


I stand over you, some days later,

the sky was grey and the clouds hung lower than broken hearts,

you were gone,

leaving us quietly, in the early morn.

I looked in the kowhai but the tuis were also gone.

You had beaten them at their own waiting game-

you'd dodged their songs,

for in the light before dawn you had gone.

I had to have a little laugh,

and I sang a quiet song.

You have gone but you'll never be forgotten,

you have left memories, colourful and strong.

And together we outwitted the tuis,

they were too late, the night they came for you,

angels bet them too it, 

while I slept deeply next to you.


Now you'll listen to the birdsong in heaven, 

yes you will.

But I am going to miss you, 

while that kowhai tree stands still;

and at night when I am all alone,

I cry softly and sing adieu,

then chuckle to myself about how you fled,

the night the tui's came for you.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mumma Bear & Redneck do a Roadie

in the shadows of a cursed coalition

My Inaugural Little Kitchen Soliloquy